Coinstar will match donations to Feeding America at Coinstar kiosks May 1 through June 30. When consumers donate coins to Feeding America through any Coinstar kiosk in the United States, Coinstar will match the donation amount to Feeding America to benefit its mission of providing food to people in need through a nationwide network of local member food banks (up to a maximum of $25,000 total during the campaign period).
This news comes at a time when a recent Coinstar survey found more than two in five Americans who plan to make donations this year will give more than last year, proving the giving spirit of Americans is strong as the nation faces a health crisis. More than one-third of respondents said the primary reason they give is because it makes them feel good. Nonprofits that offer food or meals were at the top of the list for charitable giving.
One in nine people currently face hunger. Feeding America estimates that an additional 17.1 million people could face hunger in the next six months due to the pandemic. Coinstar has partnered with Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, and will match donations made to Feeding America at Coinstar kiosks through June 30.
Top Coinstar charity survey findings:
- 44 percent of Americans who give will increase giving this year over last; 39 percent say giving will be about the same
- 34 percent of people donate because they say it makes them feel good; only 3 percent give due to a tax write-off
- Charities that offer food or meals top the list for giving Americans at 44 percent, followed by organizations that support children’s health which falls at 43 percent
- 43 percent feel more charitable since the COVID-19 pandemic
- 60 percent of Americans say they feel like they have a responsibility to find ways to help other people during this challenging time
- Two-thirds, or 66 percent, of Americans who give plan to contribute more than $100 this year
Feeding America facts:
- An additional 17.1 million people may face food insecurity in the next six months due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The total food insecure population could reach 54.3 million, and based on Feeding America’s analysis, 18 million children could be part of this total
- A $1 dollar donation helps provide at least 10 meals through Feeding America on behalf of local member food banks
- Food banks are seeing a 63 percent increase in people coming to them for food