Scharffen Berger Chocolate Maker Unveils Suite of New Products
Scharffen Berger Chocolate Maker is rolling out a host of new products across its portfolio/ Scharffen Berger is expanding on its core line, keeping the signature quality Scharffen Berger blend consistent with the past while expanding upon its legacy baking and bar offerings. In addition, the brand is launching Chocolate Provisions by Scharffen Berger, chocolate flats perfect for charcuterie boards, pairing parties or simply snacking.
“Our team has accomplished a great deal in the past six to eight months, and I am so proud to follow up our announcement in October around the new branding, packaging, staff and general direction for the business with this next bit of news about our innovation and expansion,” said JP Mackey, President and Chief Sales Officer for Scharffen Berger. “The innovation builds upon the history and quality of Scharffen Berger that has existed since the late 90s. These new flavors, new packaging formats and new product line are going to help us return this time-honored brand to its rightful leadership position among the innovators in chocolate.”
The new direction for this brand was set in motion when Scharffen Berger was returned to private ownership in 2020. Since then, the company has debuted new branding, shored up the leadership and commercial team with “experienced entrepreneurs” to ensure quicker routes to success and is now expanding its top-tier fine chocolate portfolio to meet the needs of today’s consumers and retailers.
Mackey continued, “We’ve got two brand-new chocolate chunk varieties—an Oat Milk Chocolate with Coconut Sugar and a Dark Milk Chocolate with Maple Sugar—plus we’ve re-packaged our entire chunk line in convenient, resealable stand-up pouches that will showcase the premium nature of the brand on shelf the way a fully craft made baking chocolate should be. We’ve added four delicious new flavors to our classic 3 oz. bar line, and we’ve officially invited chocolate to the charcuterie board with the launch of our Chocolate Provisions line. The best news is, we’re just getting started!”
Scharffen Berger’s chocolate maker, Ray Major, said, “I am immensely excited about all of our new product introductions. Our reputation was built making the finest dark chocolate. To these we eventually added superb milk chocolate, and now finally all the stops are out as we add unique combinations of the highest quality ingredients to our chunks and our classic 3 oz. bars.”
NEW Scharffen Berger 3 oz. Bar Flavors
Scharffen Berger’s core line of three-ounce bars—currently offered in 41 percent Cacao Extra Rich Milk Chocolate, 62 percent Cacao Semisweet Dark Chocolate, 70 percent Cacao Bittersweet Dark Chocolate and 82 percent Cacao Extra Dark Chocolate—welcomes four new flavors.
- 41 percent Cacao Milk Chocolate with Almonds and Sea Salt
- 41 percent Cacao Milk Chocolate with Toasted Coconut and Coffee
- 70 percent Cacao Dark Chocolate with Cherries, Almonds and Sea Salt
- 70 percent Cacao Dark Chocolate with Salted Almonds and Toffee
NEW Scharffen Berger Chocolate Baking Chunks
Scharffen Berger’s signature baking chunks are specially formulated for optimum meltability. The current line, which features 62 percent Semisweet Chocolate Chunks and 70 percent Bittersweet Chocolate Chunks, adds two bold new expressions and opens up a world of possibilities for dairy-free or plant-based baking.
- 43 percent Cacao Oat Milk Chocolate Chunks with Coconut Sugar—dairy-free milk chocolate that performs like its milk-based counterpart, with all the same melting properties and Scharffen Berger’s signature richer, deep flavor profile.
- 55 percent Cacao Dark Milk Chocolate with Maple Sugar—love milk chocolate but want a little more oomph? Or love dark chocolate but wish it were a bit milder? Get the best of both worlds with this high cacao content milk chocolate chunk with maple sugar to tone down the over sweetness with losing a bit of the creaminess.
“I was overcome with excitement to see how well the 43 percent Cacao Oat Milk chunks performed as a baking chocolate. I treated it just like the 41 percent Cacao Extra Rich Milk chocolate and it held up to expectations,” said Sarah Pineda, professional pastry chef and Scharffen Berger recipe developer. “Having a dairy-free milk chocolate will be a game changer when it comes to creating something that will fit the needs of people with dietary restrictions while at the same time taste amazing.”
In addition, the full line of baking chunks will now come packaged in stand-up, resealable pouches for convenient use and storage of leftovers as well as ease of display on retail shelves.
NEW Chocolate Provisions by Scharffen Berger
Scharffen Berger is bringing bite-sized chocolate to the party with the launch of Chocolate Provisions by Scharffen Berger. This all-new product category features 20 chocolate flats (9 g) packed in a cracker-like sleeve box, delivering a sweet solution to building charcuterie, cheese, dessert and brunch boards. Flavors available now include:
- 41 percent Cacao Simply Milk Chocolate—this is a rich, creamy and luxurious chocolate treat. With extra cacao and hints of caramel, these flats feature less sugar than most milk chocolate.
- 41 percent Cacao Milk Chocolate with Cacao Nib Crunch—silky milk chocolate with the added crunch of cacao nibs makes these flats irresistible.
- 70 percent Cacao Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt—enjoy this flavor’s bright fruitiness and long, smooth finish.
- 70 percent Cacao Dark Chocolate with Toasted Coconut and Almonds—the toasted coconut and almonds add complexity to these balanced dark chocolate flats, giving a little extra oomph to mild cheeses and complementing fruits, nuts and charcuterie.
- 82 percent Cacao Extra Dark Chocolate—taste rich notes of dried figs, red currants and sour cherry and a mild, peppery spiciness that lingers on your palate.
All of Scharffen Berger’s new innovations are available now at Sharffen Berger and will be hitting store shelves soon.