On March 26, the Walmart Foundation announced $10 million to nine organizations that support food banks, schools and senior meal programs. The organizations share an overarching goal: providing access to food for under-served populations—a mission taking on even great urgency in response to the novel coronavirus.
Organizations receiving a portion of the $10 million for COVID-19 response include:
- Share our Strength – to help feed children and families during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Meals on Wheels – to help keep senior Americans safe and nourished during the pandemic.
- Catholic Charities – to support food access for underserved populations.
- Benefits Data Trust – to help connect individuals and families with benefits to access food and reach financial stability.
- UnidosUS – to help improve food access in Latinx communities.
- Mercy Housing – to help ensure families, seniors and people with disabilities have what they need to get through this pandemic.
- Hunger Free America – to help connect families and individuals with benefits to access food.
- Feeding America –to help communities and individuals facing hunger during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Food Research & Action Center – to help coordinate food response with local, state and federal agencies and nonprofits.
The announcement of this $10 million constitutes the second in a series of announcements explaining how Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are allocating funds in response to COVID-19.